Cotton yarn is of plant origin. It is widely applied for making various products. Clothing made of cotton yarn comes out to be light, pleasant, comfortable, and durable.
The main properties of cotton yarn include:
- Hypoallergenicity. It does not cause allergic reactions.
- Air permeability. It is well permeable to air.
- Hygroscopicity. It quickly absorbs extra moisture.
The yarn is well colorable. This makes it possible to create products of different colors and designs.
When it comes to the disadvantages of cotton products, it should be noted that they are subject to shrinkage, easily wrinkable, and can shed when washed.
There are several types of cotton yarn:
- Unmercerized — the matte yarn of the most natural color without a luster.
- Mercerized — the strong yarn with a silky luster, well and evenly colored, and having a permanent rich color.
- Raised — the yarn with a nap, thanks to which it saves heat well.
- Melange — the yarn made of threads of different colors.
- Bleached — the natural non-colored yarn subjected to the bleaching procedure.
- Harsh — the yarn that has passed neither bleaching nor cleaning.