Sometimes the need to loosen knitted products to reuse the threads turns into a big problem. The reason for this is that most types of yarn can be used only once. But don’t rush to throw away the threads. If you know how to straighten the yarn after loosening it, you can restore its original appearance.
Simple Ways to Straighten Used Yarn
Washing is the easiest way to restore the yarn that will not only return the threads to their former shape but also clean them from dirt and dust. To use this method effectively, you need to know a few details:
- First of all, wind the yarn into skeins, wrapping the threads around your elbow.
- Wash yarn in warm water and liquid powder for delicate fabrics.
- Then rinse them in warm water and add a small amount of conditioner to keep the threads soft and manageable.
- Do not wring them out.
- To dry the yarn, spread it on a flat and hard surface. It is better not to dry them near heating devices or in direct sunlight. If you need to speed up the process, then put a towel to absorbs moisture.
Anyone who has ever wondered how to dry yarn has come across this method. You will need the following items:
- a large metal container (for example, a pot) with a couple of liters of water;
- a colander with small holes;
- a bowl that is the same size as the colander.
What to do:
- Wind the yarn into balls, place them in a colander and close it with a lid.
- Place a colander over a pot or other container.
- Put the pot on the fire and heat it until the water boils.
- Turn down the heat after the water boils and leave the structure for a couple of hours. But do not forget to make sure that there is always water in the pot.
- After completing the procedure, hang the yarn on the radiator.
In ancient times, people had their own way of straightening the yarn after loosening it. They simply wound the threads on 2 legs of the stool, making sure that there was high tension, and then left it that way for 2-3 days. The tension made the threads even and ready for reuse.
Knowing the basic ways to straighten the yarn after loosening, you can choose the one that suits you and try it out yourself.